Sunday 15 November 2009

Cache Maintenance

Back in May I was asked by Mongoose39UK if I wanted to adopt the main trail of the Oldham Way Cache from him as he was moving out of the area. I accepted the offer and became the owner of 39 caches. I have found all of the caches I was adopting and didn't think it would be that hard to maintain them. Well, that was a mistake to think that. Since finding them, some over 18 months ago they have grown legs and wondered off from where I returned them after signing the log. My first big maintenance run was when I got DNF reports on 6 caches in a run. Off I set with replacement caches, logs and pencils and the dog in tow. I came home some time later with all cache I had left with having found them all. A couple of weeks ago I headed up towards Hartshead Pike to replace some damp logs on the furthest caches from home. Today it was a trip out fro more damp logs and a coordinates check. After a 3 mile stroll with the dog covered in mud I had replaced 2 logs, repositioned 1 cache to try and keep it dryer and got some new coordinates for another one. So the main trail of the Oldham Way from Medlock Vale to Harthead Pike is all OK, hopefully for the winter. The log in the picture is the one I replaced in Oldham Way - What's Next

No comments:

Post a Comment